Mold Removal is only Part of the Mold Remediation Process
Mr. Dry Services has provided Mold Abatement service in SWFL since 1999. When mold is detected in your home or business you want it removed as soon as possible. That is considered Mold Remediation or the reversing or stopping the growth of mold. When we use the term Mold Abatement we are referring to abating or ending the growth of mold so that it will not return once it has been removed. This involves addressing whatever the environmental condition was that allowed the mold growth to begin in the first place. With over 30 years of experience, Mr. Dry Services; a locally owned and operated business stands ready to remedy your mold problem. Our highly trained technicians have resolved the mold problems of thousands of SWFL residents and businesses.
While every mold situation we face is unique, there are some common threads that exist with every mold job we perform. We first must identify the type of mold and where it is located. Mold can’t grow without high humidity. This can be the cause of a weather event, leaking or cracked pipes, poor connections on a washing machine, etc. After the areas that have been damaged by mold are removed the process of abatement begins. Once we can identify the source of the moisture, we can effectively treat the cause of the mold problem and prevent it from reoccurring.
Common Areas We Treat & Treatment Techniques
- Attics – We spend little time in our attics and it’s not unusual that by the time you realize there is a problem, the mold growth can be significant. There are also many places you can’t see in your attic other than an area that has been set aside for storage. Air conditioning handlers, and hot water heaters sometimes located in attics can be the source of moisture and humidity and it’s never discovered till it’s a major problem. Depending on the severity and source of the problem in an attic, it may be necessary to remove, repair and replace damaged building materials. Once the mold has been dealt with and any damaged materials replace or repaired it common practice to apply an anti-microbial sealer to any areas in the attic that could be susceptible to mold growth. In this was we can prevent the mold from returning.
- Crawl Spaces – Not all homes have a crawl space but many in Florida do. While we spend very little time in our attics, we spend even less time if any in the crawl space area. And while the crawl space isn’t inside your home, it can still be a strong breeding ground for molds. Eventually mold that grows in a crawl space will make its way in to the sub flooring of your property. Once there, it can spread to other areas of your home. Because of a lack of light and ventilation crawl spaces are therefore an ideal breeding ground for mold. To deal with mold in crawl spaces we establish negative air pressurization to avoid any cross contamination. Using HEPA vacuums we clean all the framing, joists and sub flooring. After cleansing any duct work, conduit or framing, we may scrape, sand or dry ice blast the wood framing. At this point we can apply an anti-microbial sealer to the wood surfaces to prevent the mold from returning.
- HEPA Vacuuming – HEPA vacuuming refers to the process of vacuuming areas affected by mold using a vacuum that incorporates a HEPA filter. This helps remove any loose mold and the HEPA filter traps any small particles or mold spores and prevents them from becoming air borne. Following it’s use the HEPA filters are properly disposed of.
- Air Scrubbers – Because mold spores travel through the air, a scrubber cleans the air of any spores that are air borne. When our technicians detect the presence of air borne spores from an air quality test, air scrubbers are almost always used to deal with this problem.
- HVAC Systems – Addressing a home or businesses HVAC system is extremely important. The easiest way for mold spores to be transmitted throughout a property is through the HVAC system. HVAC systems and their duct work are naturally moist as condensation is a by product of their function. The lack of light also creates a perfect breeding ground for mold. When clients tell us they detect a musty smell in the air inside their home, it’s often an indication that the HVAC system has been compromised. In addition, any mold or mildew that can be seen on the AC coils, filters or the duct work are signs you could have a mold problem.
- Other Techniques – Other procedures used in mold remediation and abatement include the use of ani-microbial sealants, scrubbing pads, and various chemicals approved by the EPA for mold removal.
When our technicians have completed the job, you can be assured it’s safe to go back to your normal life in your home or business.
If you’ve discovered you have mold or just suspect you have a mold problem, don’t hesitate. Call or contact Mr Dry Services. We are a trusted family owned business with over 30 years’ experience in mold inspection, testing, mold removal and mold remediation and mold abatement.